You can hardly fail to be aware of the rising tensions between America and Iran, with Europe caught rather uncomfortably in the middle.
Top European figures are wary of the hawkishness of the American administration, but are caught between a number of rocks and hard places, and would certainly not deny the realities of the things the Revolutionary Guard have been doing in the region. At the same time the spectre of war is an appalling thought and one to pray actively against. Type into Google ‘The risk of war US Iran’ and you will find many links. . .e.g. this one:
See these articles in the New York times concerning Iran’s attempts to develop ballistic missiles, and what America is doing about it.
But while America is piling up pressure for ever increasing sanctions on the people of Iran (as if of themselves such things could help the Iranian people!) it continues to offer support to Saudi Arabia, which has launched a truly brutal war against the Yemenese people, and continues to clamp down ruthlessly on its own people.
Above all let’s pray for the people of Iran themselves, that many may come to know Christ, and be blessed. After suffering from a decades-long drought, Iran has seen unprecedented rainfall since 19th March. The Red Crescent tweeted that one province received 70% of its annual rainfall in one day with truly devastating consequences.
These videos of the widespread devastation – especailly the one concerning Shriaz – would make a powerful foundation for praying not only for all immediately affected by them but for Iran generally.
You might indeed like to have the songs I have included at the end of this edition playing in the background (Victor’s Crown and Jesus at the Centre) to help you absorb these images of destruction and to pray.
Elam Ministries report that
- Floods have hit 26 of Iran’s 31 provinces.
- Flood-related deaths have been reported in 11 provinces
- Tens of thousands of people have been displaced, with many being housed in emergency shelters; others have been left without shelter.
- 141 rivers burst their banks and around 400 landslides were reported.
- Nearly 7,500 miles (12,000km) of roads are damaged – 36% of the road network.
- Agricultural losses are estimated at $180 million (USD).
Nearby Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria have also been suffering with severe floods. In Afghanistan nearly 13,000 houses have been either partially or completely destroyed.
Many Christians in Iran are doing what they can to help amid the turmoil and distress. They need our prayers as they seek to provide for people’s basic needs. Pray for strength and compassion, and that they would shine the light and hope of Christ in this painful situation.
Please also join us in praying:
- For all those affected by this disaster, including those grieving the loss of loved ones, homes, livelihoods and communities.
- For wisdom, integrity and effectiveness for the authorities and relief agencies who are responding.